Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The year begins



Hi everyone.

For those that are interested, I thought this blog would be a good chance to keep people up to date on the various shenanigans that go on down here, but not all of them!  The story so far is that after 3 weeks on the Aurora Australis, rough seas and bad sea ice we finally reached our destination, Davis.  The purpose of getting here of course was to commence resupply of the station and change over the current wintering personnel for the new incoming winterers, for which I am one of.  The past week and a half on station has been spent busying ourselves with resupply, unpacking gear, finding our alcohol consignments (very important), oh yeah and getting into the swing of work (I knew I was here for something)!


My job as a weather observer basically involves providing data and observations of the weather to forecasters and pilots.  Our observations also contribute to the long term climate record of Antarctica and provide upper air observations (via weather balloon) of winds, temperature, humidity and ozone to meteorologists back home in Australia and around the world.

I am also armed with a professional video camera and the obligatory SLR camera and hope to document and explore some pressing Antarctic issues over the next 12 months.  We'll see what I can come up with I guess.  Dinner time now, must go, Squeeze (one of the chefs) "accidently" ran over a seal in one of the utes today, so we're having a special bbq.  That's a joke by the way!  Dinner's not for another 20 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment